Each year, as the high school season approaches, there are many questions about the transition from Club Soccer to High School Soccer, and then again from High School Soccer back to Club Soccer.
Central Coast Section (CCS) Rules
Most Burlingame Soccer Club players attend high schools whose leagues are affiliated with the Central Coast Section (CCS) of the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF), so their soccer teams are affected by these rules for winter soccer season:
- Player eligibility
- Players can still practice and play games and scrimmages with their Club teams during school tryouts.
- After playing in a high school scrimmage or game, players can no longer play in Club team scrimmages or games in the same sport (but soccer with 5 or fewer players per side, such as futsal, is considered a different sport so is allowed).
- See Article 600 of the CIF Bylaws for the exact language.
- Key dates for Winter 2012-13 season:
- High school tryouts can begin October 29, 2012
- High school scrimmages can begin November 19, 2012
- Club season officially ends on November 25, 2012
- High school games can begin November 26, 2012
High school soccer teams affected by CCS rules are listed by league at the bottom of this page (separate lists for boys and girls). If your school is not affiliated with CCS, ask your high school about applicable rules.
Additional Rules from High School Leagues
High school leagues often add their own more stringent rules to the CCS rules. Check with your school for a complete and up-to-date list of applicable rules!
Peninsula Athletic League (PAL)
- Includes Carlmont, Menlo-Atherton, Sequoia, Woodside, and most other public high schools in San Mateo County except charter schools – see complete list below.
- Bylaw 14.6: “A student may not join a school varsity team after the first league contest of that team if the student has competed on an outside team or in an outside competition in the same sport during the school/league season of that sport, except as provided for in CIF Bylaw Article 600″
West Bay Athletic League (WBAL)
- Includes some private schools & a few public charter schools from San Jose to San Francisco such as Castilleja, Crystal Springs, Menlo, Sacred Heart Prep, Woodside Priory, Summit Prep, and others – see complete list below.
- Don’t have info on WBAL rules yet
West Catholic Athletic League (WCAL)
- Includes some private schools such as Notre Dame Belmont, Serra, St. Francis, and others – see complete list below. Note that some Catholic schools are in WBAL.
- Bylaws Article 7 – Soccer, Section 8D: “Outside Teams: Players must complete play for outside teams by the Monday following Thanksgiving”
Santa Clara Valley Athletic League (SCVAL)
- Includes most public schools in Santa Clara County north and west of San Jose – see complete list below.
- Rule: No player can play with an outside team past Nov 25, 2012 (Thanksgiving weekend).